The week before last Obama called the Congress to work with him on issues upon which they agreed. One of those issues, which I believe ALL Americans agree, is the importance of preserving and protecting our natural spaces and environment. Below is a video link produced by BBC that captures the incredible beauty of the Californian Gulf. ( I apologize for the lack of a more user friendly link – the Youtube link I initially placed in this post was removed by the user for some mysterious reason. Possibly BBC wants people to visit its site rather than some Youtubers site)
I look at this video and think, why do we continue risking this for oil – oil spills from drilling and tankers? Forbes just posted an article that cites polls that American’s overwhelming want renewable energy over coal , oil, nuclear, and gas. And this is due to our concern for our environment.
Yet, we as a nation are NOT making the investments toward the development of renewable energy infrastructure and technology. Commercially and politically the nation continues to march inexorably forward with the development and production of dirty energies. Why do we go in this direction as a nation with so much natural beauty to lose? Americans know we are truly blessed having a country with such a magnificent heritage of natural parks and undisturbed habitat for flora and fauna.
The fact remains that as long as our democracy is run by big money – the welfare of the natural environment will be at a disadvantage. Thanks to the majority Supreme Court’s rulings favoring the wealthy corporation or individual over the rest of U.S. when it comes to campaign finance – our environment is truly at risk. A good breakdown of the history of these rulings is here: https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/pro-money-supreme-court
The earth beneath our feet, the skies above our heads, the water we drink, the wildlife we watch in wonder – NONE of these have a voice in Washington, nor cash in the bank.
We as Americans HAVE to take up that responsibility … to be the voice, to be the power to protect what is precious to us. Because our politicians won’t pay attention otherwise. Some recent examples on BOTH sides of the political spectrum
- Republican Senate passes the Keystone Pipeline after the House approved it as well http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/us/politics/keystone-xl-pipeline-bill-senate-vote.html?_r=0
- Obama and Hilary are promoting fracking – so they are not guilt-free of closing their eyes for money as the U.S. gets poisoned for profit. And watch out world – they want to bring all this fricking-fracking goodness to you. This was a big part of Hilary’s travelling agenda as Obama’s Secretary of State. Reading this article, Hilary is, no doubt, a shill for Chevron! http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/09/hillary-clinton-fracking-shale-state-department-chevron
So … I close with a handful of worthy petitions that I encourage you to sign that reminds these politicians that – HEY this land is not YOUR LAND to pollute for profit and power! And please pass these petitions on – they DO make a difference!
- NPR has sacked its journalists covering the environment _ WHAT? Sign these two petitions if you think that is NUTSO! We need MORE information on the environment and climate change not less!
- Is the testing of Military sonar equipment trump maintaining the healthy environment of the Pacific for whales and dolphins? The U.S. government seems to think it does – MORE of our tax dollars wasted to destroy life of all forms.
- Arctic Drilling Continues at a great Environmental Expense
- Guess what? The Gas companies want to poison our public lands with fracking operations for their profit! Tell your politicians – HELLLLLL no!